Our lifestyles and diet have a lot more to do with our heart than the number of years we have lived. Given today’s hectic lifestyles, irregular sleep patterns, unhealthy diet, high levels of stress and lack of physical activity, no wonder we hear several young, seemingly healthy professionals collapsing mid-day due to heart related factors. Heart disease is no longer an age-related illness.
While we have made considerable advancements in the field of cardiology, it is not enough for us to leave our hearts to chance. Several common foods rich in nutrients can work to help prevent heart illnesses, when consumed daily and accompanied by a healthy lifestyle. Here are 18 Superfoods that’ll have your heart going ‘Thank You’!
1. Flaxseeds – Loaded with heart-healthy Omega-3 essential fatty acids, lignans and fibre, flaxseed can be consumed in the form of ground powder, in baked items, as flax meal and so on. The Omega-3s work wonders for anti-inflammation, heartbeat normalization, lowering blood pressure and controlling cholesterol levels.
2. Chia seeds – High in fibre, Omega-3s and protein, chia seeds can help lower LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and inflammation, while increasing heart healthy HDL cholesterol.
3. Whole grains – A diet comprising of whole grains helps in reducing LDL cholesterol levels. The fibre content in whole grains helps to lower triglycerides and cholesterol, reduce blood pressure and regulate blood sugar levels.
4. Puffed-rice/Oatmeal – Puffed-rice is rich in potassium, zinc, copper, thiamine, niacin, Vitamin B6 pantothenic acid, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and manganese. If you eat puffed-rice regularly you don’t need to eat Vitamin B complex supplements. Oats are also known for their high fibre content, that help remove cholesterol from the digestive system. The beta-glucan fibre present in oats lowers cholesterol levels in the blood, thus preventing plaque build-up in the walls of blood vessels.
5. Broccoli – This non-starchy vegetable helps reduce cholesterol levels. It contains sulforaphane which has anti-inflammatory properties and could prevent damage to blood vessel linings. Its B-complex vitamins work to regulate or reduce homocysteine levels.
6. Spinach –Loaded with Vitamin C, beta-carotene, potassium, magnesium and folate, spinach packs the punch when it comes to cardiovascular health! This green leafy vegetable works wonders in preventing the build-up of oxidized cholesterols in blood vessel walls, lowering homocysteine levels, regulating blood pressure, and maintaining a healthy heart.
7. Salmon – Another great source of Omega-3 fatty acids, salmon is also naturally rich in protein, Vitamins B and D. Consuming this oily fish at least twice a week helps in regulating blood pressure and reducing the amount of triglycerides in your system.
8. Sardines – Touted to be one of the richest sources of Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, sardines are also bursting with the goodness of Vitamin B12. The vitamin promotes cardiovascular health as it works to keep the homocysteine levels in check, thereby protecting your arteries.
9. Walnuts – This superfood contains the amino acid L-arginine which helps maintain the elasticity and flexibility of arterial walls, making them less prone to blood clots and blockages. They are also rich in unsaturated fats, Omega-3 fatty acids, fibre, Vitamin E and plant sterols.
10. Almonds – These heart-healthy nuts contain high amounts of monounsaturated fats, Vitamin E, magnesium and potassium that work to reduce LDL cholesterol levels, maintain arterial and venal health, foster healthy muscular contraction and regulate blood pressure.
11. Raisins – Cholesterol and fat free, and rich in potassium, raisins help in reducing cholesterol oxidation that could lead to atherosclerosis. They can also help lower high blood cholesterol triglyceride levels.
12. Apples – The polyphenol antioxidants in this delicious fruit help in blocking oxidation of LDL cholesterol, thus reducing the chances of atherosclerosis or hardening of arteries that can cause stroke.
13. Oranges – These nutrient-rich fruits are loaded with Vitamin C, folate, potassium, magnesium, phytochemicals, flavanones, polyphenols and fibre! Oranges help in reducing oxidation of cholesterol, preventing accumulation of excess homocysteine, controlling blood pressure and fighting inflammation.
14. Berries – The phytochemicals, Vitamin C, carotenes, zinc, iron, potassium, calcium and magnesium, fibre and low sugar content in berries make them heart-friendly superfoods that you’d love to eat! Berries help in preventing plaque build-up and promote healthy blood pressure.
15. Avocado – Rich in potassium, consuming avocados can help normalize blood pressure. They also contain mono and polyunsaturated fatty acids, that can help reduce LDL levels and decrease the risk of heart diseases.
16. Dark chocolate – Higher cocoa content in dark chocolate translates into higher flavonoid levels; flavonoids help in lowering blood pressure, improving blood circulation to the brain and heart, preventing blood clots and fighting damage to cells.
17. Green tea – The EGCG in green tea is known for its anti-oxidant properties which help in improving blood flow, lowering cholesterol and blood pressure and protecting against the oxidation of LDL cholesterol particles that can cause atherosclerosis.
18. Olive oil – MUFAs or monounsaturated fatty acids found in olive oil are dietary fats; these make olive oil healthy for cardiovascular functioning when used instead of other fatty foods and oil sources.
These 18 superfoods are all packed with beneficial nutrients for the healthy functioning of your heart. However, just these foods are not enough. A well-balanced meal coupled with regular physical activity, regulated sleep cycle and reduced levels of stress are all integral for the promotion of cardiovascular health and ultimately a long and healthy life.
35 thoughts on “18 Superfoods For Your Heart”
Linnk exchange iss nothing else however itt is jhst placcing the other
person’s webloog linhk on yyour page at proper place and other perszon will also ddo same
in favor oof you.
I haqve too thank you foor tthe efforts you
have put in pennijg thiis site. I’m hopiung to check outt the same high-grade bog posts from yoou later on as well.
In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspire me too get my veryy oown bpog noow 😉
I need to to thank you for this good read!! I certainly loved every littyle bit oof it.
I’ve got youu saveed as a favorite to lopk at new stuff you post…
Heloo There. I ddiscovered ylur bllog the usag of msn. Thhat iis a realy neatly
written article. I will bbe suee to bookmark it
and return too read edtra oof your usefu info. Thank you
forr the post. I’ll definitely comeback.
Hi evrry one, hre every onee is sharing these
kinds of know-how, therefore it’s fastidious too reead this blog, annd I used to visikt thyis webnlog everyday.
It’s awwsome to go to see tjis web site and reading the view
oof all ates on tthe topic of this article, while
I am also zealous of getting experience.
Hello, I enjoy reading through your article post.
I like to write a ittle comment to support you.
Terrific work! Thaat iis the type oof ino thaqt aare suppose tto be shjared afross tthe web.
Shme on the seek engines for nnot positioninbg thhis submit upper!
Come on over and sesk advice froom mmy website .
Thhis iis tthe petfect bloog forr everyone wwho reawlly waqnts to uderstand this topic.
You undersstand so much its almost tough too arghe
with you (not that I actuallyy wipl need to…HaHa).
Yoou certainly put a new spin onn a topicc that has been discussed for
years. Excellent stuff, just great!
Goood article. I definitelpy appreciate thyis site. Keeep writing!
Hmm iis anyone else aving problems with tthe imaghes on thjis blog loading?
I’m trying to figure oout if its a probledm on myy end or if it’s the blog.
Anyy feeddback would bee greatly appreciated.
all the time i used to read smaller content that
as well cear their motive, andd that iss alsso happening with this iece off writring which I
am readin att this place.
Everyone lovges what yyou guys are up too. Suuch clever wortk and reporting!
Keepp up tthe excellent wolrks guys I’ve added yoou guys too my peesonal blogroll.
Great online game https://razorshark-online.com/ where you can make money, buy yourself a new phone or a car, close the mortgage on your apartment and only one month, quick to register and win.
This is the right blog ffor everyone who wouyld like tto fid
oout about this topic. Yoou realiz so mhch its almost tough to
arguie with yoou (not that I actually will need to…HaHa).
You definitely puut a fresh spkn on a topic which hass been discusseed ffor
ages. Wonderful stuff, jus wonderful!
Does your sit have a contact page?I’m having problems locating it but, I’d lime too shooot you an email.
I’ve ggot some creative ideas ffor your blog you might bbe interesed in hearing.
Either way, great blog annd I lookk forwadd to seeing it ecpand over time.
Hi, just anted to mention, I enjoyed this blog post.
It was helpful. Keep on posting!
Thank yoou a llot for sharing this with alll of uss yoou really recognize what yoou are talkiing about!
Bookmarked. Kinddly also visit my sijte =).
We ccan haave a hypdrlink eexchange arrangement between us
Howdy! I know this iis somewahat off-topic buut I had to ask.
Doees operating a well-established website such as yours take a
large amount of work? I am completely new to writing a blog but I do write in myy diaary evrry day.
I’d likke too start a blog so I wiill be able tto sshare my personnal experrience
and views online. Please let mee knw iif you have any kind of recomnmendations or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners.
Yes! Finnally something about 7789.
Undeniabpy magine thwt which you said. Yoour favorite reason seemed to be on tthe net tthe simplest factor to ake into accxount of.
I say to you, I certainly gget annoyed even ass other people thinkk about
worries that they jst don’t understand about.
Yoou managed to hitt thee naijl upon the highest and
apso defined out tthe entire thiing without having side effect ,
folks caan take a signal. Will probably be again to get more.
I need to to thank you for thios good read!! I defiitely love every bit oof it.
I’ve got yyou book-marked to checkk out neew thhings you post…
Wow! Finally I gott a wweblog from wheere I bee abke tto actuallly get helpful information regarding mmy studfy and
Heya i amm foor the firest ttime here. I found
this oard andd I find It trily usefujl & it helped me oout much.
I hope tto giv somerhing back annd aidd ohers like you helped me.
It’s going too bbe ending off mine day, except before finiseh I aam reading tjis wonderful article tto improve myy know-how.
Fascinating blog! Is your thgeme custom made or did you dwnload it from somewhere?
A thesme like yourrs with a feww simple tweeks would
really mazke myy blog jump out. Pleqse lett mee knoow where you goot you design. Manny thanks
Hi to evvery one, the contents present at this web site are really remafkable foor people experience, well, keep up thee good woork fellows.
I’m noot sure exactly whyy buut this website is oading very low foor
me. Is anyone else having his problem or iis it a issue
on my end? I’ll check back later and seee if the problem still exists.
It’s aan aweaome parqgraph iin support of all the online
users; they wipl obain advantage from itt I
I uaed too bbe abke too find good advice from your
If yoou are giing ffor mosat excellent cohtents like I do, only
visit this site everfyday aas iit gives eature contents,
Hi tthere to all, how is the whole thing, I thbink every one iis gettng more from this site, aand your viwws aare
gooid foor new viewers.
I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself? Plz reply back as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to know wheere u got this from. thanks
Hello, yup this post is truly nice and I have learnned
lot of thinmgs from itt on thee topic off blogging.
Hi there! I know this iis kinda off topoic butt I wwas
wondering which blog platfor arre yyou uusing for this site?
I’m getting tiired of WordPress because I’ve hadd problems with hackers and I’m loopking aat altenatives for anoher platform.
I wpuld be awesome iif you could poinnt mme in the direction of a goid platform.